New link in the top of page "IRC Chat".
Register | Login
Views: 92757742
Main | Memberlist | Active users | Calendar | Last Posts | IRC Chat | Online users
Ranks | FAQ | XPW | Stats | Color Chart | Photo album
01-15-21 11:53 AM
0 users currently in General Chat.
Xeogaming Forums - General Chat - Japanese | |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5Next newer thread | Next older thread
User Post
Banned
Banned








Since: 08-17-04

Since last post: 4558 days
Last activity: 4558 days
Posted on 12-19-06 10:30 PM Link | Quote
Originally posted by Logos
Originally posted by .SK
Originally posted by Logos
Glad I could be of any assistance. But Shaddow, you are aware what "otaku" means in Japan, right?

Geek/Nerd, something or the like?

"Your house," in fact.



Oh... well I knew that Taku meant "Home"... and that O is basically honoritizing it.



They use "Otaku" to refer to a person who never leaves the house to do anything except eating, etc.

^^ I also know that it's not very good to call yourself that, in Japan. Luckilly I'm an American.
VGFreak877

Glunk








Since: 08-17-04
From: Hillsborough, New Hampshire

Since last post: 2287 days
Last activity: 2098 days
Posted on 12-19-06 10:33 PM Link | Quote
It would be the second one you have there Kyoku -- that is hiragana. That phrase is usually written in hiragana. But the phrase would be:

どうもありがとうございます。

And the correct spelling for "goodbye" is: さようなら。 Although I have seen it spelling without the "u" sound, the official spelling (and correct pronunciation) is with the "u" sound.

Also a word about "senpai" -- it does not only have the feeling of superiors. It could also have the feeling of "sensei" as well.

I am so glad you are typing in Japanese now Kyoku -- がんばりつづけてみましょうね!
Logos

Again?
Banned








Since: 07-24-06

Since last post: 4698 days
Last activity: 4788 days
Posted on 12-19-06 10:34 PM Link | Quote
Originally posted by Kyoku kun
Originally posted by Logos
Originally posted by Kyoku kun
I do not know Kanji. So yeah, I am going to write in just hiragana at the current moment. Is there anyway to write in Hirigana and katana, but not kanji?

Yeah, just don't use space bar and end with the enter key and it will stay as hiragana. To use katakana, the easy way is to type something, press F7, and the underlined part with be katakanified. About that, make sure only what you want is underlined. By using the enter key often.


So just type press and then press ?

Like this?

arigatou
ドモアリガトウ。

Like that?
Or, like this?:
どもありがとう

The second one is right. Arigatou is written in hiragana.
Darn it, VG ninjaposted.


(Last edited by Logos on 12-20-06 01:34 AM)
Kyoku kun

Phan Phan
Where in the world in Aurora the Explora? Currently California!








Since: 06-19-06
From: Northern California

Since last post: 3363 days
Last activity: 2990 days
Posted on 12-20-06 12:38 AM Link | Quote
Originally posted by Logos
Originally posted by Kyoku kun
Originally posted by Logos
Originally posted by Kyoku kun
I do not know Kanji. So yeah, I am going to write in just hiragana at the current moment. Is there anyway to write in Hirigana and katana, but not kanji?

Yeah, just don't use space bar and end with the enter key and it will stay as hiragana. To use katakana, the easy way is to type something, press F7, and the underlined part with be katakanified. About that, make sure only what you want is underlined. By using the enter key often.


So just type press and then press ?

Like this?

arigatou
ドモアリガトウ。

Like that?
Or, like this?:
どもありがとう

The second one is right. Arigatou is written in hiragana.
Darn it, VG ninjaposted.



Thanks both of you, I will come back here if I have anymore questions .
Logos

Again?
Banned








Since: 07-24-06

Since last post: 4698 days
Last activity: 4788 days
Posted on 12-28-06 01:30 AM Link | Quote
News update! I'm planning on going to Kyoto for ten days over summer vacation with two of my friends. Anyone know anything about lodgings, or just stuff that might be useful to know? I'm working on learning the language in the meantime.
Kyoku kun

Phan Phan
Where in the world in Aurora the Explora? Currently California!








Since: 06-19-06
From: Northern California

Since last post: 3363 days
Last activity: 2990 days
Posted on 12-28-06 01:33 AM Link | Quote
News update for me too!

I am planning to have a japanese FES in March for two weeks, and then next summer I get to go down to Kyoto for two weeks..
Hopefully that will work out.
Logos

Again?
Banned








Since: 07-24-06

Since last post: 4698 days
Last activity: 4788 days
Posted on 12-28-06 01:46 AM Link | Quote
Originally posted by Kyoku kun
News update for me too!

I am planning to have a japanese FES in March for two weeks, and then next summer I get to go down to Kyoto for two weeks..
Hopefully that will work out.

What type of lodgings are you planning on getting in Kyoto: a hotel, a friend's house, hostel or what?
Kyoku kun

Phan Phan
Where in the world in Aurora the Explora? Currently California!








Since: 06-19-06
From: Northern California

Since last post: 3363 days
Last activity: 2990 days
Posted on 12-28-06 02:07 AM Link | Quote
I am going to stay at a friends house.
The person who came to my house.

*confuses myself*

So yes, friends house.
VGFreak877

Glunk








Since: 08-17-04
From: Hillsborough, New Hampshire

Since last post: 2287 days
Last activity: 2098 days
Posted on 12-28-06 01:24 PM Link | Quote
I've only gone through Kyoto, I haven't stayed there for any length of time. I plan on going there next year when I go back to Japan for my schooling. October 2007 to June 2008 is my planned time to be in Japan. I wanted to do this before I turned 30, but since I've already spent a large amount of money going to Japan already, I have to wait a bit now. (If I can't make the 2007-08 year, I will DEFINITELY make the 2008-09 year.)
Logos

Again?
Banned








Since: 07-24-06

Since last post: 4698 days
Last activity: 4788 days
Posted on 12-28-06 01:36 PM Link | Quote
Originally posted by VGFreak877
I've only gone through Kyoto, I haven't stayed there for any length of time. I plan on going there next year when I go back to Japan for my schooling. October 2007 to June 2008 is my planned time to be in Japan. I wanted to do this before I turned 30, but since I've already spent a large amount of money going to Japan already, I have to wait a bit now. (If I can't make the 2007-08 year, I will DEFINITELY make the 2008-09 year.)

I've heard a lot of good and bad things about the Japanese school system, but I want to try a year there sometime, too. Is there any way not to spend a large amount of money while going or being in Japan?
VGFreak877

Glunk








Since: 08-17-04
From: Hillsborough, New Hampshire

Since last post: 2287 days
Last activity: 2098 days
Posted on 12-28-06 01:45 PM Link | Quote
None that I can think of. I pretty much know how much money I am going to be spending for this -- somewhere in the neighborhood of about $21,000. I MIGHT be able to trim about $2,000 off at most, but I seriously doubt it.

$6,930 for tuition for period of October 2007 to June 2008
$1,000 for plane ticket (When I went to Japan this year, I only paid $770 for my plane ticket. I got my ticket from here and I will most likely be buying from them again.)
$1,500 for personal expenses including food and odds and ends for 3 semesters
$800 per month for housing for a total of 9 months
$800 for transportation for the nine months (I am probably off on this amount since I haven't fully investigated the transportation options and since I haven't found the area where I am going to reside yet.)
$500 for the visa (again, haven't investigated this fully, just a budgeted amount)

$20,930 TOTAL EXPENSES
Logos

Again?
Banned








Since: 07-24-06

Since last post: 4698 days
Last activity: 4788 days
Posted on 12-28-06 05:15 PM Link | Quote
Since VG is around, might I ask how Japanese-learning persons here learn kanji and how fast?
VGFreak877

Glunk








Since: 08-17-04
From: Hillsborough, New Hampshire

Since last post: 2287 days
Last activity: 2098 days
Posted on 12-30-06 07:30 PM Link | Quote
It really depends on how often you study and how quickly you "grasp" the meanings of the kanji. Knowing kanji means knowing the readings (whether the ON or the KUN readings), example words, and sentence usage. Also, learning how to write each one works too. So depending on how dedicated you are to doing all of these things is how quickly you will learn them. Now, the way I learn is by writing them down, making flash cards, using kanji software for both the PS2 and DS, playing games in total Japanese, reading manga and books in Japanese, practicing with kanji drill books . . . yeah, I'm dedicated. Japanese is my life -- I can see myself doing anything else. I think I know around 700 kanji and can write about 300 of them. I working on trying to write the ones I know.
Logos

Again?
Banned








Since: 07-24-06

Since last post: 4698 days
Last activity: 4788 days
Posted on 12-31-06 03:51 PM Link | Quote
Originally posted by VGFreak877
It really depends on how often you study and how quickly you "grasp" the meanings of the kanji. Knowing kanji means knowing the readings (whether the ON or the KUN readings), example words, and sentence usage. Also, learning how to write each one works too. So depending on how dedicated you are to doing all of these things is how quickly you will learn them. Now, the way I learn is by writing them down, making flash cards, using kanji software for both the PS2 and DS, playing games in total Japanese, reading manga and books in Japanese, practicing with kanji drill books . . . yeah, I'm dedicated. Japanese is my life -- I can see myself doing anything else. I think I know around 700 kanji and can write about 300 of them. I working on trying to write the ones I know.


I have no idea how many kanji I know, but I can write most all of them. The funny thing is that if one learns a kanji, one has to know the kanji that it goes with to make other words, therefore eliminating any sense of how many kanji one knows. And I hope you mean that you "can't see" yourself doing anything else. =)
But forget that. I need your help. I have to make a powerpoint presentation about ukiyoe, and I have no clue what to write about. I don't want to use too much jargon since I don't know that much of Japanese, and I want to keep it simple.
Logos

Again?
Banned








Since: 07-24-06

Since last post: 4698 days
Last activity: 4788 days
Posted on 01-02-07 10:31 PM Link | Quote
Have you ever considered the JET program, VG? You get to teach English with rooms included, as well as a chance to learn Japanese in Japan.
Xeoman

Ball and Chain Trooper
Administrator








Since: 08-14-04
From: 255

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 6 days
Posted on 08-13-07 03:09 AM Link | Quote
BUMP

Wasn't there another thread for this or something? Couldn't find it though, I didn't think it had been this long since there was some kind of discussion here ...

Anyways I'll be taking Japanese 1 this Semester, so expect a lot of basic questions from me.
(I mean, I had trouble with Spanish. Though that was 8th grade)
Fennicy

Fox of all Foxes








Since: 06-13-07
From: Washington

Since last post: 4695 days
Last activity: 4700 days
Posted on 08-13-07 03:17 AM Link | Quote
That's awesome! I still remember the Japanese classes I took in community college. Those were the most fun classes ever. Though it helped that the teacher was always trying to bring us under the influence of Japanese culture by making us Japanese dishes every once in a while with a class party. XD It was so fun.

Xeoman

Ball and Chain Trooper
Administrator








Since: 08-14-04
From: 255

Since last post: 6 days
Last activity: 6 days
Posted on 08-13-07 04:18 AM Link | Quote
Yeah, I'm taking it with a ton of friends so it's going to be fun. Just can't goof around TOO much ...
Kyoku kun

Phan Phan
Where in the world in Aurora the Explora? Currently California!








Since: 06-19-06
From: Northern California

Since last post: 3363 days
Last activity: 2990 days
Posted on 08-13-07 04:19 PM Link | Quote
My Japanese classes stopped awhile ago when my awesome teacher moved.

But, Labor Day, classes are being offered by another teacher. So I am probably going to do that.


Alsoooo ..
At Spring break I am planning to go to Japan with my Aikido Dojo. Two weeks in Japan studying Aikido.. Fun.
天国JOE

俺、どうになるのじゃろう?








Since: 09-02-04
From: Destroy Tower

Since last post: 2618 days
Last activity: 1984 days
Posted on 08-13-07 07:57 PM Link | Quote
I've hit a block. My one little book, everything I read in there so far I already know. (Although, review is always good) Only a few things I need to really reread (due to forgetfulness, or whatever), so it's been pretty mellow.

Athough, I have that Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji Beginners book that's great for studying Hiragana and Katakana. Maybe it's time I practiced more of that!

Shiyo!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5Next newer thread | Next older thread
Xeogaming Forums - General Chat - Japanese |



xeogaming.org

AcmlmBoard 1.92++ r4 Baseline
?2000-2013 Acmlm, Emuz, Blades, Xkeeper, DarkSlaya*, Lord Alexandor*
*Unofficial Updates
Page rendered in 0.244 seconds.
0.033